Seal of the City and County of San Francisco
City and County of San Francisco

To view graphic version of this page, refresh this page (F5)

Skip to page body

How to Obtain Copies of Recorded Documents

Copies of recorded documents (Deeds, Liens, etc.) can ONLY be ordered in person or by mail. Requests by mail will only be accepted if a specific document number is provided. Our office does not provide search services.

Click here to search for a recorded document for years 2000 to present.


(Government Code 27366 27364)
Document Cost
Copies of Marriage License $15.00
Copies of records or papers on file (per page, pages 1 through 3) $3.00
Each additional page of same record $0.50
Copies of recorded maps (first page) $5.00
Each additional page of same map $3.00
Certification, each document $1.00

Over the Counter

Copies of recorded documents may be purchased at the Assessor-Recorder's Office from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, except for legal holidays. The customer must obtain and complete a Copy Request Form at the Front Desk. If the document was recorded from 1990 to the present, or for older records, you may either conduct your own search or provide the Front Desk Clerk with the document number and recording date. Please note that requests for older documents may take up to 5-10 business days for processing. Payment for over-the-counter copies may be made in cash, California-issued bank check, money order, or credit card (Visa or MasterCard only).

By Mail

A request for a copy of a recorded document can be mailed to the Assessor-Recorder's Office. All copy requests must include:

  • The specific document number and recording date
  • A daytime phone number in case there is a question or problem
  • An address to mail the copy
  • A check or money order to cover the document copy fee

Click here for an Order Form to obtain copies of recorded documents. Complete and mail to the San Francisco County Assessor-Recorder.

Click here for an Application for a Certified Copy of a Non-Confidential (Public) Marriage License. Complete, notarize, and mail to the SF Assessor-Recorder at the address below.

Copy requests should be mailed to:

S.F. County Assessor-Recorder
1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place
City Hall, Room 190
San Francisco, CA 94102
Last updated: 2/18/2014 8:33:01 AM